Zucchini and bacon quiche
I have already shared that I’m a big fan of eggs but I am also a big fan of quiches. This quiche is an adaptation of two very special quiches, the one I was brought up with (an egg and bacon quiche) and the one my husband was brought up with (a zucchini and bacon frittata). Both versions were favourites in our respective households (and I promise to share both recipes with you soon). I love that a quiche can be served for lunch or dinner, warm or cold. This recipe is so easy to prepare and truly delicious. It’s your turn try…
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 6 rashers of bacon (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 zucchinis (grated)
- 1 savoury pastry base (found in the frozen aisle)
- pinch of salt
- cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp of seeded mustard
- 1/2 cup of grated cheese
- 1. Heat oven to 200ºC and place savoury pastry base in oven for 10mins.
- 2. In a frypan cook onion and bacon (this step is optional as both ingredients will cook in the oven however I think pre-cooking the onion and bacon makes the quiche more balanced).
- 3. In a large bowl beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard.
- 4. Fold in zucchini, cheese, cooked onion and bacon.
- 5. Remove pastry from oven and pour combined mixture into pastry.
- 6. Place back in oven and cook for 45mins or until golden brown.
- 7. Serve with a side salad.
- Serves 4-6