Roast balsamic pumpkin, beetroot +
It’s no secret that I love entertaining. Friends and family coming together enjoying a meal and each other’s company. Food to me should be shared, enjoyed and not too fussy. My favourite meals are ones that can be prepped before guests arrive, pretty much cook themselves and are just thrown together at the last minute. This recipe is one such meal. It can be served as a meal in itself or like I did, to accompany a roast. The balsamic is a great way to add flavour and caramelisation to the vegetables. It also fits perfectly with the ingredients of this salad. This salad is tasty and satisfying. A great meal between seasons, like the beginning of Spring, where the days are getting warmer yet the nights are still cool.
- 1/4 Kent pumpkin (cut into pieces approx 2cm)
- 2 packets of beetroot (cut into quarters)
- 2 bunches of asparagus
- 1 bag of spinach
- 6-8 slices of prosciutto
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 200 C
- 2. Place cut pumpkin in a oven proof roasting dish and drizzle with olive oil. Cook pumpkin in oven for 45min on the top shelf (stir 1-2 times).
- 3. Add beetroot to pumpkin and drizzle with balsamic vinegar (2 tbsp) cook for another 30mins (stir 1-2 times).
- 4. Once pumpkin and beetroot is 10mins off being golden roasted. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, blanch asparagus for 2-3mins. Drain asparagus and add to beetroot and pumpkin in the oven. Move the roasting dish with all vegetables to the bottom shelf of the oven.
- 5. Place prosciutto on a baking tray lined with baking paper (make sure the prosciutto does not overlap) and place on top shelf of oven. Cook until prosciutto in crisp (approx 10mins).
- 6. In a glass or small jug, mix with a fork or small whisk 3tsp of balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place to the side.
- 7. Remove all ingredients from the oven.
- 8. In a large ceramic bowl place spinach leaves. Top with roast vegetables. Crumble the prosciutto and parmesan on top. Lastly, drizzle balsamic dressing mixture over whole salad.
- 9. Serve immediately.
- Serves 8
- + cut pumpkin and beetroot before guest arrive (keep in fridge in separate bowls)
- + serve with roast chicken/beef or just crusty bread
- + or why not keep all ingredients separate and allow people to build their own salad