Mixed forest mushroom risotto
This is my go to, never fail recipe. Seriously, no fail. As a child, we often had rice with our dinner but it wasn’t until I was older, going out with friends that I started to order risotto, like all of the time! Since then I have learnt to make it myself and like most of my recipes I have a shortcut, my recipe takes 20 mins tops! A well cooked risotto has texture, is creamy not mushy and flavoursome and I promise this one hits all the right notes. I know I often say a recipe is versatile but this one really is – the combinations are endless! Add chicken, duck, seafood or use different vegetables like pumpkin, roast peppers or even peas. I like to serve this dish as a meal in itself but it can also be served as a side with a breast of chicken or something similar. Don’t you think it would be a great thing to serve at a cocktail party – easily pre-prepared, warmed and served in small bowls to guests. Mmmmmm. Enjoy!
- 1 punnet of dried mixed forest mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup of button / flat mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 cup of aborio rice
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 ½ cup of chicken stock
- ½ cup of mixed forest mushrooms stock
- 1 Tbsp of oil
- Salt, pepper and parmesan cheese for seasoning
- 1. Soak forest mushrooms in a bowl of water as per packet instructions.
- 2. Place aborio rice and water in a large glass bowl. Seal bowl with cling wrap. Place glass bowl in microwave for 8-10 mins on High (some water may boil over the side of the bowl).
- 3. While rice is cooking, place in a frypan or large pot oil and onions. Cook for 2-3 mins until soft. Add mushrooms (keep the water the mixed forest mushrooms were soaking in for stock). Cook until soft, stirring frequently.
- 4. As soon as your rice has finished, pour rice into frypan/pot. Add 1 cup of chicken stock and ½ cup of mixed forest mushroom stock. Turn heat to low and allow the stock to mix and evaporate. Stir frequently. As the mixture gets dryer add more chicken stock if required, until rice is fully cooked. Add salt and pepper to season.
- 5. Serve with parmesan.
- Serves 4 - 6