French toast with almond milk, bacon and maple syrup
For me Mother’s day is all about breakfast! There is nothing better and more deserved, than a mum being brought breakfast (and a cuppa) in bed. French toast was one of the first things I enjoyed cooking in the kitchen, maybe because I love eggs and bread and therefore it was a no brainer for me, either way it became one of the things I would cook at home on a weekend. French toast is the perfect base for any cooked breakfast, it can be served with so many sides like bacon and avocado or homemade baked beans or oven baked roast tomatoes. Being Mother’s day though, today’s recipe is for my mum just how she likes it, served with bacon and drizzled with maple syrup. Needless to say I didn’t dare cook this without extending my parents an invite, hope you enjoyed it mum!
- 3 x eggs
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 12 x rashers of bacon
- loaf of ciabatta bread
- pink salt
- cracked pepper
- maple syrup
- 1. In one frypan cook bacon until brown (I like mine well done), keep warm in oven (150ºC).
- 2. Cut bread to desired width (approx 2cm), put to the side.
- 3. In a large bowl beat eggs and milk with a fork until combined, add salt and pepper and stir briefly.
- 4. Heat a non-stick frypan until hot.
- 5. Dip bread in egg mixture, ensuring both sides are covered. Place in frypan. Leave for 1-2 minutes and turn. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
- 6. Repeat step 5 until all servings or egg mixture is cooked.
- 7. Serve on plate, with 3 rashers of bacon, drizzle desired amount of maple syrup and garnish with basil.
- Serves 4